Friday, March 07, 2008

Parental Rights Are Out the Window in California

As a homeschooling family, I guess we won't be moving to California, where a judge recently ruled against homeschooling your children. With the expense, waste of money, and demonstrable failure rate of our public schools, I can't believe people will allow this ruling to stand. In that state, now you must be a "credentialed" educator to teach kids, even your own. Of course, the state will determine who gets those credentials, and what requirements must be met to receive such credentials; as if a credentialed government employee is better suited to take care of children than their parents, including all areas of their education.

I can understand the need to fix abusive situations, but you need to show abuse before you start denying all parents the right to raise and educate their own kids.

I'd go into this more, but I have to get back to homeschooling my kids...

2 comments:

Martha said...

Look at the hoops one has to jump through just to buy or "adopt" a dog. How is it that after you agree to pay hundreds of dollars for a dog, you are asked to sign a contract saying the breeder/shelter can tell you how to take care of it?

Martha said...

Sorry, maybe it doesn't seem like that last comment has anything to do with your post. It just seems to me that ordinary people just aren't given any credit for having a brain in their heads these days. Whether it has to do with children or animals someone else wants to make all my decisions for me.