Wednesday, March 18, 2009

New Babies Due Soon!

And here's the proud mama, in full brood mode. She's sitting on twelve eggs that, by my calculations, are due to hatch tomorrow. Once we noticed that she was getting very "broody" last month, we decided to try and let her hatch some baby chicks. So far, we've hatched chicks in an incubator, and bought some day-old chicks from a hatchery; but we've never let nature take its course in the hen house, so what the heck. I just hope we don't get too many roosters. I did not enjoy culling the roosters from the flock the last time.

This has gotten Kenzie interested in her chickens again. She was getting a little lax in her attendance to their feeding, watering, etc., but now she's getting things ready for the new additions. Once the chicks hatch, we'll move them to an area of the coop that mama can keep protected from her coop-mates and Nugget (the rooster). She's already gotten very bossy; even Nugget seems afraid of her. I think she'll be a good mother hen.

1 comment:

Velda said...

Gosh I almost thought that you two were keeping new news from me! lol Looking forward to seeing the babies :)