Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Vacuum Trouble

For a while now, Vicki has been telling me our Oreck is not working right. I've been telling her to change the bag, and she has, and so have the kids, and it's still not working right; seems to be leaking dirt from the bag. I finally decided to look inside the thing, and discovered that the dirt bag wasn't attached properly because the docking mechanism was missing. It probably got broken off, and was still attached the bag, when a bag was changed, and thrown out by mistake. I took the vacuum to the Oreck store. They told me the part would cost $49 to replace; for a piece of plastic. I had to say ok because we need a vacuum. The next day, they called me back and said the roller thingy is bent and should be replaced: another $49. And, to make matters worse, they said the bag clip would have been under warranty if I had the broken piece that they could send back to the factory. I was getting angry. It was obvious the piece was broken: it wasn't there! Anyway, they now want $100 (plus tax) to fix a two-year-old vacuum that cost me $400 when I bought it. I said to put it back the way I brought it in and forget the whole thing. For $100, I could buy something something cheap at Kmart to get me by for now.

I went online and found all the parts they said I needed. I bought them all for $37, including shipping, and I fixed my vacuum in the back of my van before I even left the Oreck store parking lot.

I will never buy, or recommend, Oreck again. I expect this kind of thing at a car repair shop, but not at a vacuum cleaner dealer.

No comments: