Thursday, October 30, 2008

An Amazing Game

The temperature was 44 degrees at game time. The wind was blowing about 20 mph. It rained just before the game started, and just enough the make the field gooey. I was very happy not to be a coach of Connor's team last night. I could sit in the car until the last minute, then sit comfortably (well, more comfortable than the kids in their shorts, anyway) under my blanket, on the sideline.

Connor's team scored the first goal, early in the game. But, late in the game, with about five minutes left to play, they were down 4-2. I was thinking, dangit, they're going to lose their first game of the season, and it's the first one I got to see. Then they scored a goal (now, it's 4-3). Then they scored another to tie it up. Well, I think, at least it'll end in a tie. I was wrong. They proceeded to score three more goals in the last two minutes of the game. Final score, 7-4.  That was an amazing finish. The other team only had the ball on our side of the field once or twice the entire second half. Their defence got so tired out, they couldn't hold'em off, and collapsed, in those last five minutes.

Now, because of this rain-extended season, we still have four more games to go, one of them another night game next week. I hope it warms up for that one, but then again, if the boys like the cold (as they seemed to last night), let it be cold.

No comments: