Sunday, January 18, 2009

A New Church

Our new church was dedicated today by our new Bishop. The Dedication Mass was conducted by Bishop Malooly, who recently replaced Bishop Saltarelli, who was instrumental in getting this building project started. This whole thing started about ten years ago and, after a year of holding Mass in our old church hall, we're finally in this very beautiful house of God. It is going to be SO nice to have pews again, and kneelers, and a real Confessional, not to mention all the other trappings of a Catholic church, like stained glass windows, the crucifix, candles, and incense.

One of the coolest
things about this new building is that the old church is till part of the new one, as a small chapel that will be used for daily Masses. I wish I had pictures of everything that was done, but I don't. You'll just have to believe me when I say the place is just spectacular.

Four of my kids got to help in some way during the dedication. Kenzie, Taylor, and Tyler sang in the choir. Connor played the
new organ during Communion. Needless to say, I probably should go to Confession to rid myself of the sin of Pride that I've been feeling for days, now. But, I don't think God will mind too much if I take some pleasure in the gifted children He has given us.


Here's a view from my seat as we arrived in our new church. Then, Bishop Malooly sprinkled the congregation with Holy Water.

The Bishop then anointed the altar, and Father Jennings anointed the walls.












The Bishop incensed the altar. Deacon Robinson incensed the church and congregation.












The altar was set and prepared for the first Liturgy of the Eucharist.













During Communion, Connor played this organ while the joint youth/adult choir (and the rest of us) sang. For some members of this family, it was the third Mass of the weekend, but nobody complained.












No comments: