Thursday, May 24, 2007

What Is A Conservative To Do?

I consider myself a very conservative person. Based on my religious and political views, I could even be called a "right-winger". Unfortunately, I live in arguably one of the most liberal states in the country, Maryland. Our current politcal leaders swept what little Republican resistence we had in the state capital, out of office last November: and they even campaigned on massive tax increases, stronger unions, huge increases in spending, and pro-abortion/pro-stem cell research platforms. It has not been a happy time for conservatives in this state.

That being said, what am I to do when, after almost ten years of battling my own Party on an issue (on the local level), I owe the positive resolution of said issue to the very folks that I oppose in so many other areas? We have been threatened by a development project so massive that one of its size has never been seen before in our state in the sensitive area called the "Critical Area", an area within 1000 feet of the Chesapeake Bay that is especially sensitive to environmental damage caused by over-development. Here is today's article in the Baltimore Sun, and a local tv news story. I wish I had more time for details, but time (unlike my wife's blessings) is not something I have in abundance lately.

Anyway, I've been thinking it's a very upside-down world around here. But I am very pleased with the result, so far.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Keep your focus on the prize. God only asks our obedience not that we change the world. That's His job.

I understand your frustration. We live in a rather conservative county in upstate NY but this doesn't ever seem to matter when it comes election time. Downstate will take the votes almost every time.

Margaret said...

Yay for the good being done in this case (and yes, I'm one of those liberals, but like to think that sometimes the right thing to do cuts across political party lines).