Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Extra Credit for Connor

Last week I graded a History quiz that Connor took. He scored an 80%. Whenever he doesn't get a perfect grade, he goes back and checks his answers with the text book. He is a perfectionist, and is always determined to prove me wrong when he doesn't get 100%. When I grade his quizzes, I use a key, and I don't necessarily read each question. This particular History quiz had a true/false section, where if the sentence was true you write "true"; if it's false, you write the correct answer for some underlined term in the question.

Here's the question: The first European city in the Americas was Isabella.

The key said it was true. Remember, I didn't read the question, just Connor's answer. He wrote "Isabela", not "true" so I marked it wrong. Connor brought to my attention that Isabella was spelled wrong in the question so 'technically' it was false, so he fixed it. Regardless of which spelling is actually correct, the text book spelled the answer Isabela, not Isabella, a difference of one "l". Not only did I give him his 10 points back for knowing the answer was true, I gave him five extra credit points for all the obvious reasons.

No comments: