Wednesday, May 07, 2008

More Softball News

This is what I get for not updating my blog in a timely fashion. This also proves that people actually read this thing. In my last post I said that Kenzie could forget her world series trip because all the money went to Vicki's car. Well, this unintentionally caused concern for those who expect to have Kenzie at that tournament. I spoke abruptly because I was upset about our money that was reserved for other things was being consumed by such a large, unexpected expense. I also ended that post with the belief that whatever is meant to be, will be. The last post was Friday morning. By Friday afternoon, with the help of family, we had replenished more than half of Alex's tuition fund. By Friday evening, Vicki had found a cheaper motel in Ohio, saving us at least 50% of that expense for the tournament. We will save a lot more by taking fewer kids on the trip and using the new car, with its 34 mpg (vs 10 mpg for the big van or 20 mpg with the minivan).

Anyway, to anyone who is still concerned, we've managed to tweak things enough so that the trip to Ohio is no longer in jeopardy. I apologize if my communications skills are lacking. Of course, the new baby is due within two months of the tournament; let's pray he doesn't try to mess up his sister's summer.

While I'm here, I might take the opportunity to once again praise my girl. In bottom of the last inning in the the semi-final game on Sunday, the Lightning was down by a run. The opponent's best pitcher was in the circle. Hunter came to the plate and rbi'd the tying run in, ensuring at least extra innings. Kenzie came up (she said there were two outs, but I don't remember) with runners on second and third. She hit a line drive to left field and drove the winning run in. Very cool. I think this was her best offensive weekend yet. They went on to win yet another first place trophy (the individual trophy was a pretty junky trophy, if you ask me - although the team trophy was nice, which Hunter won as the weekend MVP).

Vicki and Kenz are heading to Philly on Friday for another tournament. Wish I could go. There's going to be some different teams there. I get to go to Delaware the following weekend to watch her play against her old team, the Bayside Breeze. They have essentially the same team as when Kenzie was on it; nine out of eleven girls played there with Kenzie last season. I haven't seen any of those players or parents for about a year so it'll be fun to see them again.

No comments: