Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Chemistry

Alex was searching, frantically, this morning for his Chemistry text book. He starts school tomorrow at SSPP and is trying to get all his ducks in a row before the last minute. Imagine that! Anyway, the reason he could not find his Chemistry book is because he does not have a Chemistry book. His teacher, bless him, is trying to save us money, I guess, and for that, he has already become one of my favorite teachers of Alex.

I suggested to Alex that he borrow one of my old Chemistry books, the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, a 2600+ page tome that lists every know chemical and physical property of elements, solutions, organic and inorganic compounds, and you-name-it. How impressed would his class be if he whipped that thing out of his backpack on the first day of school!? He laughed, but the book weighs about ten pounds and he doesn't need the extra weight in his pack. And, truth be told, the book is not really a textbook. I bought it as a graduating Biologist and Chemist (with a dash of Physics) from SSU for future reference. I have actually used it a few times, but not since my conversion to country bumpkin.

No comments: