Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Kid Switch

A ten year old girl has taught me that nothing is permanent. As soon as you think you know where you're going, expect to change direction. Five years ago, Kenzie was going to be a dancer/singer, with a little soccer playing thrown in on the side. Dance classes, a select children's choir, and piano lessons had her well on her way. Four years ago, she was going to be the world's greatest female soccer star. Select soccer and private lessons had her well on her way. Two years ago until two days ago, she was going to college on a softball scholarship (so the plans were). Club level softball on an elite softball team had her well on her way. Two days ago, she told me missed all the stuff she gave up in order to play top level softball. Softball is now in limbo. She's now back in the church choir (not the"select" choir she was previously in), focusing more on her piano (she wants to pass Connor, I think), and hoping to get back into baseball, with the boys, in the Spring, not to mention the travel soccer team she has never completely given up on. I don't know about the baseball, but I hope she doesn't give up on the softball; there are other, less demanding options than the travel ball she was playing.

Anyway, back to the current Life Change, that of leaving the RB Spirit 12U team. I think it's a bigger kicker for me than her. I absolutely love the sport, and the level of competition that these girl play at. I also have to accept the fact that the sport demands way more from us than a family of ten can afford to give: time, money, more time, more time, and more time. After reflecting upon the past two years (really only the past year, which was the most busy), I realized how little time I spent with anyone but Kenzie. I missed most of whatever it was that the other kids were doing: baseball, soccer, football, piano recitals, growing up. And, to be honest, some of the people I met I didn't like; some of them I came to like very much. But none of them were my family. Speaking of family, it occurs to me how little I saw of my own parents and sister over the past year, compared to previous years. Wow, we really did spend an inordinate amount of time at softball fields.

I guess it's nice to be able to use this time of year and make adjustments. Having kids, and their ability to switch directions almost instantaneously, definitely makes life an adventure.

Oh, and did I mention that now Kenzie wants to be a veterinarian? Yeah, she wants to go find some animal shelter or vet that will hire her so she can start getting experience working with animals. Ugh!

No comments: