Sunday, June 10, 2007

And Now, For the Sports:

As you may have guessed, with all our kids, weekends can be consumed by childrens' activities, especially sports. Our kids play, primarily, baseball and/or soccer. That'll change a little bit this coming Fall with the addition of flag football, but we'll deal with that when it comes. This time of year is especially interesting because, as the baseball season nears its end, tournament play begins. Tournaments always carry a little more weight than the regular season because this is where the rules change so that they match "real" baseball more closely, and the score counts. Winners move on, losers go home (which has its own appeal at times). the exception is travel ball (like Kenzie's softball), which is played at the competetive level all the time. I have to admit that these games are more fun to watch because of the added suspense caused by the fact that 'these games count', and they eliminate many of those stupid 'modified rules', which, in my opinion, only serve to confuse the kids by training them the wrong way to play the game. The bottom line is, I try to get to as many of them as I can, whereas I don't mind so much if I miss some of the more boring (ok, there, I said it, boring; it's sad, but true; who likes to sit there for two hours watching some kids daydreaming in the outfield, while the coach spends forever trying to hit each kid's bat with the ball), regular season games. Ok, enough introduction.

Tyler was chosen for the All-Star team at his, Coach-pitch, age division. His first all-star game was yesterday, at 9:30 am (be at the field at 9:00 am). Kenzie had a softball tournament in Easton, basically the home field, only half an hour away. She had three games, 9 (be there at 8), noon, and 1:30. Connor's dividion also started their tournament yesterday. His game was at 1:30.

My day went like this. Up at 7. Vicki takes Kenzie to her field at 7:30. I take Ty to his game at 9. I have all but Alex and Keary with me. Alex kept Keary at home until later. After the game we rush Connor to a friend's house (also one of his coaches) so he gets to his game on time. I rush home, pick up Alex and the baby, and head to Easton. We arrive about fifteen minutes late for Kenzie's game; luckily they are also running 15 minutes late. I watch Kenzie's second game, and spend a small fortune on lunch at the concession stand. I rush back to the Island, heading straight to the park to help coach Connor's game. We are 30 minutes late; luckily they were 20 minutes late starting; didn't miss much. After the game, we come for showers. Vicki and Kenzie arrive home, and we go to church. I'm assuming everyone grabbed something to eat for dinner as they got hungry beause I don't remember making anything.

This was a crazy day, but worth it. Game results: Tyler's team won! Championship game under the lights on Friday night. Kenzie's team won 2 out of 3! Their first win on the season; very cool, except her head coach was at a wedding in Seattle. Connor's team won! and advances in the tournament!

Now it starts again, as I head out the door for day 2 of softball.

No comments: