Friday, December 22, 2006

Calm Before the Storm

We cleaned the house, wrapped the presents, finished school for the year, did the laundry. Wow. What are we going to do today? There's still three days before Christmas and most preparations are done. I guess I could go to the grocery store. Vicki needs butter for making more cookies.

This is like the calm before the storm. The kids are antsy, when they're not bored, which is when they irritate each other just to have something to do. I definitely don't want to go to any stores today, with all the last minute frenzy-shopping. I usually go to the mall with my FIL on Christmas Eve, just so we can laugh at all the folks looking for that last, last minute gift. I don't think I'll go this year, with Christmas Eve being on a Sunday.

I looked out the window this morning and saw Alex and Kenzie, sitting with the chickens, in the chicken run. They seemed to be having a serious conversation. No arguing. No yelling. Just talking. In the drizzle. Very cool. With all the craziness that goes on around here, moments like that are precious. Older brother, younger sister, having a talk, enjoying their backyard barnyard.

I'm out in the classroom, which used to be our garage. Above me is the kids' portion of the house (bedrooms, playroom, etc). I mention this only because I fear the peace has been broken, as evidenced by the screaming I hear from above. I can't tell if it's happy screaming, or not, so I'd better go check on things.

2 comments:

_ said...

The only reason he doesn't want to go with my dad on Christmas eve this year is because he wants to stay home and watch all the Sunday football games. Isn't that right, dear? LOL

Andy said...

That thought never occurred to me. It is a good point, though, now that you mention it.