Saturday, February 03, 2007

Another Recital, And Other Ramblings

That's right, another piano recital. Tomorrow afternoon. Kenzie and Connor both get to play at this one. It's really close to home, for a change; only about a half hour away, so I'm hoping Vicki gets to go see them play. She needs to get to do something besides work or take care of Kearsyn, and she hasn't seen the kids play at a recital for a while. Next weekend, Connor has another recital, in Cambridge, and that's a good hike for us: a little farther away than Kenzie's softball practice, so I'll probably be taking Connor to that one. I might try to talk him out of that one, but I never seem to win those battles. I guess it's good that he likes to perform, even though it scares him to death.

I have to remember that Alex has a public speaking event on Thursday. He's going to recite that poem I wrote in high school in front of his 4H club. I wish there was a way I could be in two places at the same time, because that's also softball night. I'll have to find Alex and Connor a ride to 4H unless Vicki can get them there.

Alex told me the other day that he'd like to look into becoming a junior volunteer at our local volunteer fire dept. I think that would be cool. I mentioned it to him last week as something he'd be good at (unbeknownst to him, I emailed the fire chief to enquire about the minimum age: it's 14), but didn't push it. He actually must have been listening. I told him we'd stop by and pick up an application the next time we drive by the firehouse. Yet another thing to squeeze into our lives. Well, he'll be driving in a couple years; that might help somewhat. When you think that he'll be able to get his learner's permit in summer, 2008, it sounds awfully close, doesn't it?

People have told me that I need to pick fewer things for my kids to do because we seem to be always running around like crazy. The problem is, there's so many of them, even if they only do one thing each, it amounts to a lot of stuff. And, unfortunately (or not), they are all good at so many things, I don't have the heart to say no until every second of every day is all used up.

Don't forget, today is the feast day of St. Blaise. Head to your local Catholic church and get your throats blessed! My kids know St. Blaise to be the patron saint of sore throats because of the brief ritual of blessing the throats that our priest does this weekend of every year. He's also considered to be the patron saint of wild animals. That kind of applies to my pack of kids at times, too (especially in church :o). Other than that, I have no idea why wild animals need a patron saint. Alex thinks he's special because, as an altar server at this evening's Mass, he was the first to have his throat blessed.

As the title of this entry suggested, this has been a collection of ramblings. I hope I didn't disappoint.

No comments: