Monday, February 12, 2007

New Chicks Are Here

The post office called this morning with word that our chicks are here. Naturally, we had them home within the next fifteen minutes. I have to say, I never ever thought I'd ever go to the post office and ask about picking up my chickens. The door was locked (the PO hadn't even opened yet) but they let us in anyway. I guess they saw the forlorn look on Kenzie's face and weren't about to disappoint her. Here's some pictures from this morning's adventure.














ADDENDUM: I was curious, so I looked up where these chicks came from: Webster City, Iowa. They hatched on Feb. 10 and travelled 1100 miles to get here 48 hours later. I'm amazed at this. Our last batch was locally grown and home-hatched, and I was worried about them surviving my kids.

1 comment:

Martha said...

At least they weren't arriving as eggs. I heard a truck spilled 165,000 eggs on the Capital Beltway. Yuck!