Friday, September 08, 2006

A Homeschool Breakthrough

Tyler is going to be a very high maintenance student. He has very little tolerance for his inability to immediately grasp something new, especially since his twin brother is usually the exact opposite, and understands things seemingly before I even introduce them. And when Ty gets frustrated, the whole world needs to know about it. He's very good at acting out his frustration. I have found that, for most exercises, I need to teach one of them at a time. By separating them, there is no pressure for anyone (especially me) to "keep up", and that seems to immediately end any tension.

I wrote the above paragraph this morning. Since then, we have finished all our lessons. By keeping Tay and Ty separate, we seem to have removed all obstacles to Ty's performance, at least temporarily. He performed equally as well as Tay did, even on that dreaded Math. Although I'll be essentially doubling my hands on time with the twins, I think I've discovered the way to teach them. In the past years of homeschooling, I've been fairly successful at grouping kids together, even those who are in different ages, to save on time required by all of us to get our work done. It is very ironic that, with the twins, I need to work separately, when logic would dictate that they could work together. Well, we still finished up by 1:00 (the twins finished up by 10:45), but this is Friday, and I tend to to lighten up on Friday, especially in the first week of school. But, hopefully, we've started something wonderful here.

No comments: