Friday, September 22, 2006

Halfway to Chicks

Well, we're about halfway to new chickies. I haven't mentioned the eggs for a while because, as either Connor or Kenzie mentioned in their blog, I was a little disappointed at the first candling. It appeared we didn't have too many viable eggs and I was expecting a few more chickens on October 2. I re-candled a few random eggs, including some from the "questionable" group. It looks like we might have more good eggs than I first expected. Of course, I still don't really know what I'm looking for, so it's still wait-and-see. That's one reason we separated the eggs: so we can learn what to look for in future incubations. I think it might just be easier to let the hens do the work next time, but sometimes even the hens get it wrong. Some friends of ours tried letting their hens set on their eggs, and they only got three to hatch. Hopefully my numbers will be higher than that.

I can now announce that I know of at least one of my own friends that have visited this blog, not just one of my wife's friends. Don't get me wrong! I love having visitors, but if I have to rely on Vicki for all my web traffic, that doesn't say much of my ability to make my own friends :o) Laura is a good friend of mine from when Connor was still going to public school. About the only good thing that came out of public school was some of the people my kids met, and the ones I met through them. Laura's son and Connor are still pretty good friends, even after all these years of not going to school together. They can go months without seeing each other, then pick right up where they left off the next time one calls the other.

That lighthouse is still for sale. I'm still waiting for a partner with a lot of money to join in the venture. They lowered the starting bid to $5,000 instead of the original $30,000. The current high bid is only $10,000, so it's still a steal, if you just happen to have 15 or 20 thousand dollars laying around the house. They've scheduled a trip to inspect the lighthouse, in person, on October 17. I'd love to go look at it, but I think you have to be serious bidder to be considered for the trip. Besides, October 17 is my predicted delivery date for Kearsyn. It'd be my luck to be stuck on a lighthouse when Vicki's ready to go to the hospital.

Speaking of which, I think we've been through this birthing thing enough times to just go ahead and do it ourselves, right here at the house. Vicki doesn't quite agree, but I've gotten her to change her mind on things before. I have a big basket and a sharp Swiss Army knife. I don't really understand her concerns about having to go all the way to the hospital just to do something we're experienced at, and will happen naturally anyway, whether we go to the hospital, or not. And, we're only a '911' away from help if anything really weird happens.

Bekah's been entertaining us in the classroom recently. She's just so cute I couldn't help posting a few pictures of her here.










And, finally, Alex and I went for long bike ride a few days ago. We came to spot with a wonderful view of our Bay Bridge. We've been there before, but I never took a picture. This time I did.

1 comment:

_ said...

While the big basket and swiss army knife sounds tempting, sweetie, I think I'll stick with what I know works this time around. =)