Wednesday, September 20, 2006

No Rest For The Weary

Some people just have no consideration for those of us who can sleep until 6:30 am. On most mornings I can tolerate a few lights on at 5:30 am, the shower running, etc. After all, I understand that Vicki has to get up and go to work and all that stuff. She does a pretty good job at allowing me to have my beauty rest, even though she thinks it's a huge luxury to be able to sleep so late.

But, with the addition of those chickens, Kenzie, as I've said before, loyally gets up at 6:00 am to tend to them. She makes some noise, but usually it's not enough to get me out of bed before my alarm goes off.

Today...she had the twins with her...at 5:39 am! Vicki hadn't even gotten out of the shower, and there's three little people already stomping through the house and screaming and carrying on in the back yard. I can't believe it took chickens to do what I've always considered to be impossible. Most kids around here just do NOT get up that early.

I guess this means I'll have a new, earlier, schedule as long as they don't lose interest in the chickens. And it may get even earlier once those roosters get mature enough to start crowing. One nice thing, I guess, about the kids waking up the neighborhood at 5:30 in the morning is that it'll get them all used to hearing noises coming from our back yard at all times of the day. Maybe the neighbors won't notice the cock-a-doodle-doodling, but I doubt it.

Vicki mentioned in her blog that we candled the eggs. Even after seeing through the eggs with a bright light, I have no idea what I was looking at. We just removed a couple obviously dead eggs, and kept the rest incubating, for now. I only hope that if any are rotten, they don't wind up exploding inside the incubator. That would be gross. I'd rather play with one of Kenzie's spiders than clean that up.

By the way, in case you haven't heard, Kenzie started her own blog. I've added her link to my LINKS section here. After she and Connor got started, I saw that Blogger has an age limit for those who want to blog on this site. I don't have the heart to tell then they can't do it anymore, so I hope nobody minds if we bend the rules. Vicki and I are keeping a close eye on what they post. We are not allowing anonymous comments, and they are not allowed to publish anything before one of us reads it, and they know if they break our rules, they lose internet priveleges: this has happened before.

3 comments:

. said...

Oh my you sleep in till 6:30 somedays? You are so lucky. hehehehe.

Margaret said...

Ick. Now I have the image of exploding rotten age running through my brain.

Just wait until you have a baby AND a rooster waking you up at all hours of the morning.

LBinMD said...

Andy...you have to publish these "chronicles" of the family one day...how great! I forwarded your link to my brother Bob, another SAHD (who recently started home schooling). I hope you two can strike up a conversation and be a support to one another. Laura