Sunday, October 22, 2006

Turn That Frown Upside Down

Okay, no more gushing. But I'm still very happy about the weekend softball tournament. Kenzie's team did so well on Saturday that they were seeded #4, out of 6 teams, in the single-elimination part of the tournament on Sunday. They were supposed to be last. Unfortunately, the pitching wasn't there and the other team scored a ton of runs off a ton of walks. The other team never got a hit, but scored 14 runs in 3 innings. That was enough to end the game early. Kenzie played second base and right field, but never saw any action at all in the field. Nobody was all that happy about losing, but it gave Kenzie and me a father-daughter day in my old college town.

She just loves exploring places I've been before she was around. A few months ago, I took Connor and her on a driving tour of Horn point Laboratories, where I spent a college summer as an intern, working on research projects on the Chesapeake Bay. The kids really enjoyed seeing where their dad worked as a young twenty-something. Kenzie wants to go back so we can tour the inside (it was closed because we visited on a Sunday), and I'd like to do that myself, just to see what's changed in twenty years. A tour would be really fun for them, I think, because I could add some personal details, which is what they just love to hear about.

Back to Salisbury. Kenzie and I visited the Zoo-Park, which hasn't changed all that much in those same twenty years. Once again, those personal details fascinated her, and it was fun for me to remember some of the good times I had back then. She especially enjoyed the story about the time when Salisbury was hit by a huge snowstorm. Now, at the time, I think Salisbury owned about two snowplows, both of which were snowed in, in two feet of snow. Nobody was going anywhere, and sane people didn't try. Vicki and I walked about a hundred miles (well, maybe not exactly a hundred) that day, feeling like we were the only two people on earth, walking down the middle of the interstate highway from the college to the Zoo-Park, and beyond. Kenzie got to swing on the same swings that Vicki and I did on that same day in the snow. I could definitely see "the girl" in her show up in that smile she had.

Well, it wasn't snowing today, so we got to see the animals, her favorite of which was the very noisy, and friendly, flamingo. Then we spent some time looking for some of the old houses I lived in and some of the old places I spent my time, except the actual college campus. Other than the mall closing down, and a few names on businesses changing, the university is the only part of Salisbury that has changed in all those years. All in all it turned out to be a great day, despite the loss and the drizzle. And, we managed to turn that frown, upside down.

3 comments:

. said...

Hmm I see some more gushing there ;) Sorry about the game Kenzie! It's so fun to take your children and show them 'your' life, how fun! What great places. I had to giggle about the flamingo, do you know what you're getting yourself in to? (Ask vic the meaning of this lol)

Andy said...

Don't know the meaning. Am afraid to ask.

Margaret said...

Sounds like such a fun day! And since I'm currently "it" in the Flamingo game, I'm really laughing here.