Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Pre-Holiday Frenzy

Busy, busy, busy. Everybody's cleaning today. It's a good day for it; rainy, dreary, cold, and just yucky. Kenzie decided it was too cold for our sunrise walk, and that was fine with me because there was no sunrise anyway. We have been cleaning the whole house in preparation for tomorrow. Vicki's family's coming for dinner. They're used to our house being a mess, but it was decided that Thanksgiving deserved a special effort. Plus, the kids have been really really bad lately, so they've been doing penance with especially difficult assignments. Alex, who got angry at Connor yesterday, and threw a pencil at him (hitting Bekah in the face with it), had to clean all three of bathrooms by himself yesterday; and they had to be done top to bottom, and be spotless when he finished. It took most of the afternoon and he actually did a pretty good job. Then Connor got angry at Alex last night and, yes, threw an eraser at him (yes, only hours after the pencil incident). Today, Connor is cleaning all the walls, by himself, in all the common areas of the house. Trust me, with so many short people in the house, the walls get pretty dirty from the four foot level, down. The rest of us are doing the regular cleaning duties that should get done way more often than they do.

To top it of, my insurance guy just came by to talk about our policies. I knew he was coming, but his visit put a crimp in Kenzie's schedule. She had all the chairs moved out of the kitchen so she could sweep and mop. Well, I needed the kitchen table, so she had to put it all back together until we finished with the insurance talk. I can never understand insurance policies. I'm not a stupid person, but I can NOT figure out insurance stuff. Even though this guy (a new agent from our old one) explained things clearly for the first time I can remember, five minutes after the agent left, I was getting things wrong again. Vicki insisted on writing notes to ourselves, in our policy, so we'll remember what the heck it all means ten minutes from now. Now at least, Kearsyn has some life insurance, so that makes seven. I still need to set her up with an annuity fund like all the other kids have, but I can only handle so much of this policy stuff at a time.

The Nor-easter finally arrived. We just had a wind gust of 31 mph, and it's raining pretty good. I'm glad I'm not travelling today. To all you who are, please be safe, and everyone please have a

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

2 comments:

Martha said...

Pencils can put children in the hospital. It happened to us...

Nathan , then 8, had the pencil. Bethany, then 12, tried to grab the pencil. Josiah, then 10, got said pencil, pointed end first, right in the eye. To make a long story short, Joe ended up with a traumatic cataract (the pencil penetrated his cornea and hit his lens) and now has an "intraocular lens". He had cataract surgery 8 1/2 years ago. Good news, he's my only child that doesn't wear glasses. Go figure!

Andy said...

It's always seems to be the one NOT involved that gets hurt. I'm glad it worked out ok for your kids. I pray we continue to escape those serious injuries. With all of our close calls, the Guardian Angels in charge if of our family are always working overtime.