Friday, November 03, 2006

Velda, Keep Your Canadian Air!

Brrrr. It's supposed to get down into the 20's tonight. The first time we may go below freezing this season. I wouldn't mind that too much, except we have two 8 AM soccer games and one 9 AM game. We are all going to be popsicles before lunch. I hope the chickens out in the coop will be okay; I haven't winterized the coop yet. I was waiting until next weekend, when my friend will pick up the foster chickens and my babies can move out there. Speaking of my chicky babies, they are growing fast. Here's some pictures I just took. They are five weeks old and have most of their feathers. I still can't tell if two of my hens are really hens, or not. The roosters have a definite comb, like "Nugget" here, the brown one with Bekah. And the obvious hens definitely have nothing like a comb. But some, like this black and white one have a sort of cross between the two. In case you're wondering, yes, we did name this one chicken Nugget, since this is probably the one rooster we'll keep for breeding purposes and he won't get eaten, at least for a while. But if we do decide to eat him, at least his name is Nugget. Kenzie, for some reason has also been calling one of the hens "Hawkface" because it does look kind of like a hawk from the neck, up. Kenzie's very happy that Hawkface appears to be a hen because I don't think I could have convinced her to eat her favorite chicken, even smothered in her favorite sauce, Ranch salad dressing.

Right now, Connor is sitting in the room with me, staring at the ceiling, while all his siblings are watching a movie. I think he's trying to make me feel guilty for punishing him (no TV/Electronics for the rest of the week, starting this past Monday). He's being punished because he kicked, and broke, Bekah's chair because he got mad at Kenzie. Breaking the chair was bad enough, but then he didn't tell me about it (I explained to him, what if Bekah got in that chair and it fell apart). It was the cover up that got him in the most trouble, as always. My kids always get in more trouble for not 'fessing up than for the actual crime. With the University of Maryland football team on TV tomorrow, and the Ravens on TV on Sunday, I have to figure out how bad I want to torture him. Connor will do almost anything to watch his football. And on Sunday, we may all miss the game because Kearsyn is getting baptised at the same time. I should have thought of that before I scheduled her Christening, but I guess it really shouldn't be put off until after the Superbowl.

All right, I'm starting to ramble and I have a little girl to put to bed, so I'm outa here.

4 comments:

. said...

Andy! you made me giggle this morning. Trust me I'm no happier with that freaking cold air than you are! Bekah and those chickens are sooooo cute! I hope that you and Connor enjoy the game ;) We're the same way with our kids about "fessing up" good for you! Sending some warm wind your way for this mornings games!

Margaret said...

LOL Poor Connor. I hope his punishment ends early. Stay warm (says she of the 52 degree house.... think it's time to turn the HEAT on???).

_ said...

M2 - I think it's past time for you to be turning that heat on. You trying to turn your kiddos into popsicles??

Martha said...

So, did you name the chicken "Nugget" or did the kids?