Thursday, January 11, 2007

Thanks, Ron, and Others

I don't know who you are or where you came from (I have a good idea, though, considering all the pray that has been going in to this decision), but your comments could not have been more well timed or appropriate for the situation we've been going through.

In about twelve hours, we're scheduled to go sign Alex up for government school. A phone call tomorrow morning will cancel this appointment. Who would have thought that this decision would seem to be such an earth-shattering one to make? But it has turned my life upside down lately. Vicki and I just finished another talk with Alex. Somehow, over the past few days, Vicki has managed to get a few snippets from Alex, expressing his concerns and problems. From our talk tonight (us talking, and him grunting a little, when appropriate), we decided to try and make some adjustments to how we do things around here, before transferring him to school.

I have been talking to many people about this, trying to get advice, including my parents, who have always been opposed to homeschooling our children. The recurring theme (other than from my parents) has been: it makes more sense to try to fix what we have before making the major move of sending Alex off to public school. It took a stranger's comments to drive this message home at the eleventh hour. Pretty cool how the Holy Spirit works, huh?

I have had many people helping me in this process, through prayer and advice. I don't think we're finished; now we have to actually implement the changes we decided on, so please keep it coming.

Thank you all so much.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Keeping you all in my prayers during these times of adjustments. Alex sounds so much like my 12 year old, grunts and all!

Martha said...

I'm relieved to hear that you have decided to stay the course for now. I know of several parents who sent their teenagers back to the public school only to regret it later. I wish I could say that high school has been easier for me (I feel a little lost). I am constantly reminding myself that there is much more to life than academics. Alex is learning what is really important in life by taking care of and loving his younger siblings, by helping with chores, and by seeing his parents demonstrate the love of Christ every day.
Most parents who teach their children at home feel inadequate at one time or another (usually the end of the second quarter), I know I do. My prayer is not that my children become brain surgeons or rocket scientists, although those are good things, but that they follow Jesus and live a life that pleases Him. Home schooling is not the answer to all of life's ills, the journey takes much prayer and a commitment to do what Christ asks of me and to do it even when the going is rough.

Anonymous said...

Happy to play my part. :-)